The smell of popcorn instantly transports me to memories of the drive-in theatre that we’d go to when we were kids. Mom and Dad would bundle us up in our pj’s because they knew we would fall asleep. We’d always bring dinner like fried chicken. And Mom would make popcorn on the stove and throw it in a paper bag to bring with us.
Well a couple years ago I was just sick of the microwave fake popcorn. I mean, have you ever cut one of those bags open? Some fake congealed yellow butter-flavored oily substance coats a small handful of kernels that have been sitting in that yellow mush for months until you finally throw it in the microwave. Not something I want to put in my mouth. Remember, I’m all about eating REAL food. So I set out to make Real Homemade Popcorn like Mom used to, with my own spin of course.
Easy Homemade Popcorn
The perfect after school, sleep over, movie, or game night treat. Stovetop popcorn is super easy, and ready in just a couple of minutes -just as fast, better for you, and better tasting than the microwave!
- 2T Butter, or a bit more.
- 2T Canola Oil (I’ve also heard Sunflower Oil works well)
- ⅓-1/2 Cup Popping Corn, I let the measuring cup fill over
- Salt or Season Salt – our recipe here!
- 1 Large Clean Paper Bag or a couple paper lunch bags
- Place all but the salt in a thick bottom 8 qt sauce pot with a good fitting lid covering it.
- Put heat on high, yup high. Now gently shake back and forth. In a few minutes you will hear it begin to pop (about 2minutes). I suggest wearing oven mitts to keep your hands comfortable during this.
- Shake a bit more vigorously while kernels pop and keep contents moving well.
- Then when popping starts to really slow down – believe me you will be able to hear it (about 1 minute of popping). Take it off the heat and quickly pour into paper bag or large bowl, salt to taste and shimy shake the bag for a moment or two.
- DONE! Pop in a flic, get a cold beverage, and enjoy!
Get more from the Brady Girls at your fingertips with Cookin’ Up Sweet Treats!
Borrow or Purchase our eBook Sweet Treats vol. 1 for your Kindle, iPhone, iPad, Android Devices, or Home Computer in the Kindle Store today!
Remember you can download the Kindle App for Free on nearly any device!