Okay I promised Sausage Gravy for those delectable biscuits, so here it is!
For years growing up the only thing I would order for breakfast at restaurants was biscuits and gravy. I’m sure that contributed to my waist line, but I couldn’t help myself. It was and still is one of my favorite comfort foods, warming to the body as well as the soul.
So when I asked Memaw for her secret recipe she handed it over gladly, and I was surprised just how easy it was to make.
Classic Biscuits and Gravy
Only 5 ingredients! Just how Memaw used to make it in the heart of Minnesota at the restaurant. Thick, but not too thick. Peppery, but not too much. A savory breakfast to fuel your day.
- 1 lbs Breakfast Sausage (pork or chicken)
- 2 Tbs. All Purpose Flour
- 1+ Cups 2% or Whole Milk
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- Ok start with your pan on high heat. Brown the sausage into tiny bits. If your sausage came in casings remove from casings before cooking.
- Once the sausage is cooked, browned (not burned), whisk or use a good wooden spoon to stir in 2 tbs of flour into the sausage drippings. Scrape up the bits on the bottom of the pan and work the flour into a paste.
- Then slowly whisk in your milk to the flour and sausage until the flour is dissolved. Bring the gravy to a boil to thicken. If the gravy is too thick, slowly add milk by the tablespoon until it’s the consistency you want. Hint: it should not boil and spit everywhere that’s too thick.
- Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste. I use both liberally.
- Enjoy over our buttermilk biscuits!
Get more from the Brady Girls at your fingertips with Cookin’ Up Sweet Treats!
Borrow or Purchase our eBook Sweet Treats vol. 1 for your Kindle, iPhone, iPad, Android Devices, or Home Computer in the Kindle Store today!
Remember you can download the Kindle App for Free on nearly any device!