Mother’s Day is drawing near and I wanted to bake a simple chocolate cupcake that would make a great dessert for anyone to make for their mom. These moist, chocolatey tidbits really ‘take the cake’ when it comes to chocolate cakes. What mom wouldn’t love to have a cupcake like this to follow up their Mother’s Day meal? A delicious ending to any day really.
I made these when I was visiting all of the Brady Girls in Utah last week. We tried out different recipes and had a good ol’ time. When the cupcakes came out of the oven, I had my niece right up next to me, begging to have one even if they were still the temperature of the hot oven! I hadn’t even frosted them yet! She was able to snag one, and then another, and this continued as the night went on and I proceeded to frost them. Once the frosting hit the tops of these babies, they were fair game and they disappeared. Granted, I did my fair share and ate way too many. But, that’s what vacation is all about, right?! Indulgence. And these cupcakes make you close your eyes and just savor the flavor as you bite into them. Or if you’re my niece, grab two or three and run as fast as you can so her aunt doesn’t catch her and give her the noogies she deserves for stealing her baked goods I love family! Show your mom how much you love her by baking her some Sinfully Good Chocolate Cupcakes this Mother’s Day! Here’s the Recipe:
Sinfully Good Chocolate Cupcakes
|½||Cup Vegetable Oil|
|2||tsp. Pure Vanilla|
|1||Cup Brown Sugar|
|1 ½||Cups Flour|
|1||Cup Cocoa Powder|
|1||tsp. Baking Soda|
|1 ¼||tsp. Baking Powder|
|¾||Cup Boiling Water|
|½||tsp. Instant Coffee|
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Place paper liners in two cupcake pans.
2. With an electric mixer, mix the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla in a large bowl for three minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together the sugars, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add slowly to wet ingredients.
4. Boil ¾ cups of water and add ½ tsp. instant coffee and stir. Add to cake batter and stir using a rubber spatula. Batter will seem thin, but this is okay! Note: if you don’t want to add coffee, feel free to leave it out. Coffee intensifies the flavor of chocolate so if you’re a coffee lover, add another 1/4 tsp. -1/2 tsp. of instant coffee.
5. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake both cupcake pans for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick when inserted near the center of a cupcake comes out almost clean.
6. Repeat step 5 until batter is gone.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool in cupcake pans for 5 minutes. Then remove let finish cooling on counter.
8. When completely cool, frost with your favorite buttercream frosting, like our Chocolate Buttercream Frosting in our ebook, Cookin’ Up Sweet Treats available in the Amazon Kindle Store. You can download it on your Kindle, iPad, iPhone, Blackberry, Android Phone, and your home computer! Learn more here.
Note: You can also use this recipe to make a cake! Works great in a 9×13″ pan or two 8″ pans. Just be sure to spray pans with cooking spray and line bottom of pans with parchment paper.
Tip: If you do not have buttermilk on hand, use one cup of milk and add 1 Tbs. of white vinegar to it. Allow to sit for 5 minutes for milk to sour. Easy homemade buttermilk!
Makes: Approx. 3 dozen
…P.S. We will have a youtube video up showing you how to decorate these bad boys in a couple of days! I’ll link it here, so stay tuned… Happy Mother’s Day!
Get more from the Brady Girls at your fingertips with Cookin’ Up Sweet Treats!
Borrow or Purchase our eBook Sweet Treats vol. 1 for your Kindle, iPhone, iPad, Android Devices, or Home Computer in the Kindle Store today!
Remember you can download the Kindle App for Free on nearly any device!