I love Apple Butter! It is the taste of all things Autumn. I really believe if fall had a flavor, it would be Apple Butter. It looks so tantalizing sitting there in the pretty jars, then once opened the aroma wafts all around one’s head until you can’t grab a spoon and piece of toast fast enough, so you nearly stick your finger into the jar to have a taste. I salivate just thinking about it.
- Around 8 pounds of Granny Smith and Fuji or Pink lady Apples. (Or any combo).
- ½ Cup Apple Juice
- 2 C. Brown Sugar
- 2 C. White Sugar
- 2 Tb. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tb. Chinese 5 spice
- Quarter apples and place in a large crock pot. Add all other ingredients and give it a stir to coat.
- Place the lid on and let it cook on low for 9 to 10 hours.
- At about 9 hours, strain the contents through a wire mesh strainer into a large pot and place back into your crockpot, discarding seeds and cores (perfect for the compost pile)!
- Place it back in the crock pot and cook an additional hour uncovered until thick. Place into sterilized jars and refrigerate. Makes about 6-7 pint jars.
Apple butter is a lost art. Many stores do not carry it and even fewer people make it. The question left unanswered for me is, ‘why?’ It is the most easy of all of the jams in the entire world to make. My recipe is so simple, just toss everything into the wonderful invention that is the crockpot and walk away. 10 hours later there is jam.
Well there is another step. Most will peel and core every apple. I don’t waste my time with that. I am an old fashioned kind of gal. The pectin that makes the jam set doesn’t need to be added from a packet. Nope, it is in the peel and the core of the apples. So I just quarter the whole apples and toss the few other ingredients in. At the end of 9 hours, when I believe all is well and cooked, I smash everything through a wire strainer, thus removing peels and seeds. In this process everything is so soft there is little effort involved. I know, I know, is she crazy or is she a genius? Well, go ahead and try this easy recipe and you can decide. I will warn you, unexpected guests may suddenly appear due to the wonderful aroma coming from your home.
Get more from the Brady Girls at your fingertips with Cookin’ Up Sweet Treats!
Borrow or Purchase our eBook Sweet Treats vol. 1 for your Kindle, iPhone, iPad, Android Devices, or Home Computer in the Kindle Store today!
Remember you can download the Kindle App for Free on nearly any device!
This post is partying over at: Coastal Charm, Savvy Southern Style, The Shabby Creek Cottage, French Country Cottage, Whipperberry, The Shabby Nest, Serenity Now, Funky Junk Interiors, Today’s Creative Blog, Home Stores A to Z, Tip Junkie and others