I started last week, making my Mother’s Lemon Bars recipe -or so I thought. It turns out there were a few typos, and that this recipe was meant to be made in a huge jelly roll pan, not a little 9×13… So the lemon bars baked, and baked, and baked some more. Until finally at an hour, I pulled them out, noticing the top was getting burnt and underneath it was still like jello. I scraped off the top burnt film and put it back in the oven, thinking ‘these things have got to cook now!’ Turns out they never did firm up, and the crust baked until it was nearly black… oh yummy! Haha, I should mention now that I am not the baker, I can follow a recipe, but coming up with my own rarely ever happens. After talking to my mom we realized that the recipe she sent me was all sorts of wrong, the top had 8 eggs, no flour, and 2 1/4 cups of lemon juice… it was a yellow gooey mess.
The moral of the story is, if the recipe is not working, it’s probably broke.
So I set out to fix her recipe and put my own twist on things. And this is what I came up with!
Homemade Lemon Bars
These Lemon Bars will knock your socks off with their super lemon flavor coupled perfectly with a sweet crust. They will literally melt in your mouth. But don’t let their angel-like appearance fool you, they are by no means healthy! Also, look for this recipe and more in our first book coming to Kindle Market Place this month!
- 3 Cups All-purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbs. Lemon Juice
- 1 Cup Butter (room temperature)
- 4 Large Eggs
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2 Tbs. Lemon Zest
- 3 Cups Sugar
- 1 ½ Cups Lemon Juice
- ½ Cup Flour
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lay down parchment paper or foil in a 9×13” pan. Lightly grease it with cooking spray.
- Make the crust. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt and lemon juice. Cut butter into chunks and add to flour mixture. Blend in with an electric mixer at low speed until mixture forms coarse, sandy crumbs.
- Press mixture into pan with your fingers or the back of a spoon into an even layer. Poke the crust a few times with a fork so it will not create large bubbles while baking. Bake for 16-18 minutes, until lightly browned around the edges.
- While crust is baking, make filling. Whisk together all filling ingredients in a large bowl. Mix very well.
- When the crust comes out of the oven and is still hot, pour in filling mixture.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until filling is set and does not jiggle when the pan is gently shaken. Cool completely before slicing. Perfect!
These wonderful lemon bars are featured in our cookbook Cookin’ Up Sweet Treats!
Get more from the Brady Girls at your fingertips with Cookin’ Up Sweet Treats!
Borrow or Purchase our eBook Sweet Treats vol. 1 for your Kindle, iPhone, iPad, Android Devices, or Home Computer in the Kindle Store today!
Remember you can download the Kindle App for Free on nearly any device!