Just in time for Valentine’s Day, we wanted to give you a few sweet treats to impress your loved ones. These quick recipes are sure to be a hit for the chocolate lovers in your family!
Easy Chocolate Covered Strawberries
I love Hershey’s semi sweet chocolate chips. They are really the best. Or if you aren’t in the mood for chocolate, white chips are wonderful! I place this in a glass bowl with 1 teaspoons of Canola oil. Heat in 30 second increments and stirring each time until nice and smooth. Then dip washed and dried strawberries in it and place on a chilled plate. They will firm up nicely. It is important to make sure that the berries are bone dry. Water and chocolate do not mix. The water will make the chocolate seize up.
Another alternative is to take 12 oz of your favorite chips and place in a glass bowl. Heat in a separate glass bowl ¼ cup heavy cream. Until very, very hot but not boiling. Pour this over the chips and let it sit just a moment. Add 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla. Do not use imitation, it has water in it! Stir all together until smooth. This will make a fantastic quick fondue for fruit, brownies pieces, cookies, or rice crispy cereal treats. So decadent. So yummy!!!
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Create these heavenly cookies in as little as 20 minutes!
1 Cup Butter (softened)
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 ¼ Cups Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
¼ tsp. Salt
12oz Bag of Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 Cup extra Chips or nuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Combine the first 5 ingredients until light and fluffy.
3. Stir in Flour, baking soda, and salt until fully incorporated. Stir in chips, and nuts (optional).
4. Drop by large spoonfulls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
5. Bake 8-10 minutes.
Tip: You can easily form these into bars by placing in a 13x9x2” bake pan and cooking for 25 mins.
Makes: 4 dozen cookies
Time: 20 minutes!
Caramel Chocolate Bars
These sweet treats combine both chocolate and caramel, one of the greatest love affairs of all time!
¾ Cup Butter (room temperature)
¾ Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Oatmeal
1 Cup Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
½ tsp. Salt
1 ½ Cups Chocolate Chips (any variety you prefer)
1 ½ Cups Walnuts or Pecans (optional)
35 Caramel candies
3 Tbsp. Butter
3 ½ tsp. milk or cream
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9×13” pan.
2. In bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and oatmeal, and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add in flour and oatmeal combination until mixture resembles large crumbs.
4. Pat ¾ of mixture into 9×13” pan firmly. Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven.
5. While crust is baking; melt caramels, 3 Tbsp. butter and 3 ½ tsp. milk or cream in saucepan over low heat.
6. Take crust out of oven and pour caramel mixture evenly on to it. Sprinkle 1 ½ cups of chocolate chips and 1 ½ nuts evenly over caramel layer.
7. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture on top and bake for 15 minutes. Do not over bake.
Makes: Approx. 30 servings (depending on your bar size)
Time: Approx. 45 minutes
The Best Fudgey Brownies
And finally we end with Mel’s famous brownies, that were created to brighten any day.
1 ½-2 C Cocoa ( depending on chocolate craving)
1/2 C Canola Oil
3/4 C Butter (softened to room temperature)
1 C. White sugar
2 C. Brown Sugar
1 C. Light Corn Syrup
4 Eggs (whole)
3 Egg whites
2 T. Vanilla
2 3/4 C. Flour
2 C. Pecans (if desired)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat first 9 ingredients by hand or on low with a mixer until well mixed.
3. Add flour in with a wooden spoon and mix well. Add nuts.
4. Pour and spread batter in a 13×9 pan sprayed with cooking spray.
5. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 25 -30 minutes at 350 degrees, until middle springs back when lightly touched.
Tip: This is best served in the middle of the table with friends and 10 spoons. No plates!
Makes 2 dozen
Time: 1 hour